The Advanced Project Management Diploma explores the core principles of project management as documented in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Seventh Edition. Students enrolled in the Advanced Project Management Diploma program will acquire the competencies, knowledge, and tools to advance projects that impact business growth. This program will immerse students in project management practices, frameworks, tools, and templates that support the advancement of projects in an increasingly complex business environment filled with constant change.
Explore competencies and strategies required to manage a project using: performance domains, tailoring process, navigating project risks, team leadership, value delivery management, and frameworks for successfully delivering performance on projects. You will expand your technical knowledge of project management and examine key topics around managing complex projects across different industries for successful project delivery.
This program is suitable for participants who are new or already have experience practicing in project management roles and possess the fundamental competencies and/or knowledge required to run a project. It will also prepare participants for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® designation or the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® designation.
The program's learning outcomes and assessment strategies are based on the competencies within the PMBOK® Guide – Seventh Edition.
By the end of the program, successful students will be able to:
- Explain the basic principles and standards of project management
- Describe different project life cycle management approaches and related activities critical for successfully delivering project outcomes, deliverables, and business needs
- Demonstrate the different project management frameworks, stakeholder management approaches and the fundamental value delivery components that make up a project system of value delivery
- Investigate the eight performance domains and the tailoring process of a project, and describe how these domains interact with each other to meet stakeholder requirements during project implementation
- Apply key performance indicators (KPIs) and specific metrics that are quantifiable measures used to evaluate the success of a project
- Use risk mitigation tools and practices to address a list of risks identified within a specific project
- Illustrate the outcomes of applying the Agile project management methodology
- Apply project management models, methods, and artifacts required for successful project implementation
- Construct project plans and documents that align with the Four Step Tailoring Process using appropriate learning activities
- Create a real-life project from start to finish leveraging commonly used artifacts, templates, tools, and practices covered in the courses within the program
The Advanced Project Management Diploma encompasses our entire project management program.
This program is perfect if you...
- Work, or aspire to work, as a project manager in a variety of industries
- Are pursuing a PMP® or CAPM® designation
- Are a professional trained in another country, looking for a valued Canadian credential
- Want to acquire more in-depth insights to project management methodologies
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Professional Diploma.
Online and In Class
Courses in this program are delivered online and in class. Courses are scheduled at convenient times, allowing you to complete the program at a pace that fits your life.
You should plan on studying and working approximately 6 hours per week per course.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
10 Courses, 250 Hours
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. The Advanced Project Management Diploma is a 250-hour program.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you take all ten courses in three terms, with the final project course in the last term, you will complete the program in less than a year.
The approximate cost to complete the Advanced Project Management Diploma is $6,390.
This includes the $105 admission fee.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program. You can take individual courses to start, and apply later.
The admission fee is $105.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
Programs change from time to time, so we recommend that you apply for admission as early as possible. Once admitted, your requirements to complete the program will not change – even if the program changes. You can be confident that completed and eligible courses will apply to your program.Apply for Admission
Prior learning from other post-secondary institutions
Advanced standing may be granted for equivalent, graded courses completed at other post-secondary institutions. To be considered equivalent, courses must be based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Seventh Edition. Credit may be granted up to a maximum of 60 hours towards this program.Apply for Advanced Standing
Transferring credit from other Continuing Education programs
If you have completed requirements for another University of Calgary Continuing Education program, you may be able to transfer some credits to this program. For details, please review the "Credit towards other programs" information in the programs you have completed. To transfer credits, please contact a student advisor.
On completion of this program, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
On completion of the Advanced Project Management Diploma, up to 60 hours of equivalent courses may be transferred towards the Occupational Health and Safety Diploma, Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management, and Certificate in Change Management. The number of hours will vary based on certificate requirements and courses.
If you wish to pursue another program:
- Complete the Application for Admission for your next program
- Contact us to request transfer of the equivalent course credits
The transfer of course credits will not happen without your request.
Many of the courses in this certificate align with the educational requirements of the PMP® designation and prepare students to write the PMP® exam.
PMI's Project Management Professional (PMP®) credential is an industry-recognized certification for project managers. Globally recognized and demanded, the PMP® designation demonstrates that individuals have the experience, education and competency to lead and direct projects. For more information about the PMP designation, see the PMI website.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.
International students who wish to live and work in Canada can take this certificate in the one-year International Professional Program in Project Management.