Each Continuing Education certificate program has specific policies regarding the awarding of advanced standing. Please review this information for the certificate program to which you are applying. If you have questions, call 403-220-2866.
Ready to apply?
If you are unable to finish your application at one time, your application will be saved for you. To continue working on an application, sign in to My ContEd and select My Applications.
Please allow 3 – 6 weeks for your application to be processed.
You will be notified by an advisor when your assessment is complete. If more than one course has been approved, additional fees will be collected before the advanced standings can be applied to your academic record.
How to apply
1. Choose courses that may be eligible for advanced standing
Courses taken from other post-secondary institutions must meet the following criteria:
- Course must have been completed within the last 10 years.
- Course hours must be equivalent.
- 80% of the course content must be comparable.
- A minimum grade of C, 64%, or equivalent must have been attained. (Grading differences will be evaluated based on submission of the official transcript, course outline, and grading equivalency chart supplied by the student.)
2. Prepare to apply
You can request assessment of up to five courses toward the same certificate program on one Assessment for Advanced Standing application. Before starting the application, be ready with specific details and documentation.
For each course, you will need to know:
- Course code and title.
- Name of the institution where you completed the course.
- Year the course was completed.
- The UCalgary Continuing Education course you believe to be equivalent.
For each course, you will require the following documents:*
- Unofficial transcript.**
- Course outline and description from the year the course was completed.
- Grading equivalency table or chart (if not already included in your transcript or outline).
* All documents must be in English. Assessments from International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) in the Specialized Type will be accepted. For more information about IQAS please visit www.work.alberta.ca/iqas.
** An official transcript must be received in order to apply Advanced Standing to your academic record, but processing may start with an unofficial transcript.
3. Have payment information ready
Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted.
On submission of your Application for Advanced Standing, you will be charged a non-refundable assessment fee of $100. This fee covers the assessment of up to five courses, and the advanced standing fee for one course.
If the assessment results in advanced standing for two or more courses, each additional course will be charged another $100 advanced standing fee. If all of the courses are denied advanced standing, the assessment fee of $100 will still apply and cannot be refunded.
Example: You submit five courses for assessment and pay the $100 fee. On completion of the assessment, you are granted advanced standing for three courses. You will owe a total of $300 in advanced standing fees, the first $100 of which will be covered by the assessment fee paid with your application, leaving an outstanding charge of $200.
Unofficial transcripts that you may already have in your possession can be used for the assessment process, however an official transcript must be received before advanced standings can be applied to your academic record. An official transcript is one that has been sent directly to UCalgary Continuing Education from the institution that issued it.
Send transcripts to:
University of Calgary Continuing Education
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
You must be admitted to a certificate program before advanced standing credits can be applied to your academic record.