This award has been established with yearly funding from the Esmail Safana Farzana Fayaz Bharwani Foundation, a private foundation established by the family of Esmail and Safana Bharwani to encourage and recognize adults who are pursuing their studies in Continuing Education.
Esmail Bharwani is continuing his efforts to provide financial support to those who are interested in furthering their education. This award recognizes newcomers to Canada starting out in Continuing Education. Esmail values those who aspire to be better professionals, learn the art of management, give back to their community and who pursue their dreams with dedicated efforts. Esmail Bharwani instructed for Continuing Education from 1980-2000 and has taught over 5000 students through the department.
Number: Ten per year (if funds allow)
Application Deadline: August 1 (5 awards) and April 15 (5 awards)
The fund was established to provide assistance to adult learners with a preference to newcomers to Canada (within five years) who have chosen to pursue educational goals, often while maintaining a full-time career and family life commitments.
Each of the ten Esmail and Safana Bharwani Entrance Awards will be awarded a letter and announced during the Graduation Ceremony (if applicable) using the following sub-titles:
- Esmail Bharwani Entrance Award
- Safana Bharwani Entrance Award
- Esmail and Safana Bharwani Entrance Award
- Farzana Bharwani-Kassam Entrance Award
- Hussein and Sikina Bharwani Memorial Entrance Award
- lnayat Kassam Entrance Award
- Fayaz Bharwani Entrance Award
- Jabeen Bharwani Entrance Award
- Mikhail Kassam Entrance Award
- Ariana and Zoya Bharwani Entrance Award
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Currently enrolled in any professional certificate or diploma program (100 hours or greater).
- Have registered in the first course of their currently enrolled Continuing Education professional certificate or professional diploma.
- Preference is given to self-identified newcomers (within 5 years) to Canada. (Information regarding their recent experience as a newcomer to Canada will be requested in the application.)
Submission of a resume is optional.