The Project Management Foundations Certificate explores the core principles of project management as documented in A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Seventh Edition.
This program will prepare participants to acquire the fundamental competencies, knowledge, and tools to move into a project management role. During this program, participants will uncover the competencies required to manage a project using the eight performance domains, processes management, program life cycle management, deliverables identification techniques, and stakeholder management. The program will also provide guidelines on how to tailor a project to meet the needs of a specific work environment.
If you are new to the project management profession, interested in developing a knowledge base, or preparing for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® designation or the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® designation, this certificate is for you. This certificate will be of value to those looking to acquire project management skills, models, methods, and artifacts. Also, it is suitable for people contemplating a career change.
By the end of the program, successful students will be able to:
- Describe the purpose, key terms, and concepts of The Standard for Project Management
- Explain how agile approaches differ from the traditional project management approaches
- Describe the basic principles and standards of project management
- Explain the fundamental value delivery components that make up a project system of value delivery
- Recognize the eight performance domains of a project and how these domains interact with each other to meet stakeholder requirements during project implementation
- Describe different steps, techniques and tools required in a project tailoring process
- Describe different project life cycle management approaches and related activities critical for successfully delivering project outcomes, deliverables, and business needs
- Analyze how a process-based approach can lead to a project output, input, or deliverable in different organizational contexts
- Apply project management models, methods, and artifacts required for successful project implementation under the performance domains
- Create project plans and documents that align with the four Step Tailoring Process using appropriate learning activities
The Project Management Foundations Certificate is the first half of our project management program.
This program is perfect if you...
- Work, or aspire to work, as a project manager in a variety of industries
- Are pursuing a PMP® or CAPM® designation
- Are a professional trained in another country, looking for a valued Canadian credential
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Professional Certificate.
Online and In Class
Courses in this program are delivered online and in class. Courses are scheduled at convenient times, allowing you to complete the program at a pace that fits your life.
You should plan on studying and working approximately 6 hours per week per course.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
5 Courses, 120 Hours
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. The Project Management Foundations Certificate is a 120-hour program.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you take all five courses in one term, you will likely complete the program in four months or less. Students should be able to complete this program within three terms if they register in two courses per term.
The approximate cost to complete the Project Management Foundations Certificate is $3,195.
This includes the $105 admission fee.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program. You can take individual courses to start, and apply later.
The admission fee is $105.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
Programs change from time to time, so we recommend that you apply for admission as early as possible. Once admitted, your requirements to complete the program will not change – even if the program changes. You can be confident that completed and eligible courses will apply to your program.Apply for Admission
Prior learning from other post-secondary institutions
Advanced standing may be granted for equivalent, graded courses completed at other post-secondary institutions. To be considered equivalent, courses must be based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Seventh Edition. Credit may be granted up to a maximum of 60 hours towards this program.Apply for Advanced Standing
Maximum advanced standing and transferred credit
The combined total of advanced standing and transferred credits cannot exceed 60 hours for this program.
On completion of this program, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
On completion of this certificate, full credit may be transferred towards the Advanced Project Management Diploma.
On completion of this certificate, up to 60 hours of equivalent courses may be transferred towards the Occupational Health and Safety Diploma, Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management, and Certificate in Change Management. The number of hours will vary based on certificate requirements and courses.
If you wish to pursue another program:
- Complete the Application for Admission for your next program
- Contact us to request transfer of the equivalent course credits
The transfer of course credits will not happen without your request.
Many of the courses in this certificate align with the educational requirements of the PMP® designation and prepare students to write the PMP® exam.
PMI's Project Management Professional (PMP®) credential is an industry-recognized certification for project managers. Globally recognized and demanded, the PMP® designation demonstrates that individuals have the experience, education and competency to lead and direct projects. For more information about the PMP designation, see the PMI website.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.
International students who wish to live and work in Canada can take this certificate in the one-year International Professional Program in Project Management.
Get a 5% discount
Receive a discount of 5% by registering at the same time for all five courses.
Register online or by calling 403-220-2866 or 1-866-220-4992. Some restrictions may apply (i.e., all courses must take place within the current academic year).