Successful projects follow a systematic and organized management method. Utilization of a process-based approach towards project management considers the sequencing and interaction of all the inputs, tools, techniques, and outputs that are tailored to meet the requirements of the stakeholders.
You will learn how the tasks, activities, and process groups interact within each phase of the project life cycle and contribute to a project's successful execution.
You will take an in-depth look at the different standards for project management and learn how the body of knowledge supports a process-based project approach.
Project Management Foundations Certificate students who have completed BMC 299 Project Management: Level I will be credited 40 hours towards this course.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Explain the purpose, key terms, and concepts of The Standard for Project Management
- Describe the role of process groups within projects and how they interact within each phase of a project life cycle
- Describe how agile approaches differ from the traditional project management approaches
- Explain how the five process groups (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing) are applied within a project
- Illustrate how a process-based approach to projects can lead to a successful and systematic project delivery
- Describe how agile concepts, values, and principles are applied to projects
- Demonstrate how a process-based approach is aligned with the different standards for project management and support during the life cycle of a project
- Use fundamental project management documents such as a project charter, project plan, and work breakdown structure
Topics of Instruction
- Process-based Approach
- Five Process Groups; Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring, Controlling, and Closing
- Project Management inputs, tools and techniques, and outputs (e.g., Project Charter)
- Development of a Work Breakdown Structure
- Agile concepts, values, and principles
NotesFormerly: BMC 299 Project Management Level 1
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Change Management : Optional Courses
- Occupational Health and Safety Diploma : Core Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management : Construction Management Courses
- Project Management Foundations Certificate : Required