This program prepares you for a modern data scientist role. It covers the essential cloud computing and big data skills that a modern data scientist needs to grasp. It consists of two 45-hour courses designed with comprehensive lab activities and hands-on mini projects. You will learn the practical skills to effectively deploy your data science projects in the cloud and perform big data processing using frameworks like Spark and Hadoop. You will receive a certificate of completion upon successful fulfilment of the requirements.
This Applied Data Science and Big Data program is delivered in collaboration with WeCloudData.
This program is perfect if you...
- Are a data and business analytics professional who wants to move projects to the cloud
- Are looking to gain cloud-based data engineering experience, and know how to handle big data workloads
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Courses in this program are delivered online. Courses are scheduled at convenient times, allowing you to complete the program at a pace that fits your life.
You should plan on studying and working approximately 15-20 hours per week per course.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
2 Courses, 90 Hours
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. Big Data in Cloud is a 90-hour program.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you take both courses in one term, you will complete the program in three months.
The approximate cost to complete Big Data in Cloud is $2,990.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
- A minimum of 12 months experience with the following skillsets: python programming, relational database, data visualization using python/excel, machine learning algorithms, linux commands, cloud platforms (e.g. AWS Cloud).
- DAT 110 Data Analytics and Visualization in Business, and
- DAT 120 Practical Machine Learning for Business, and
- ICT 128 Relational Databases Fundamentals
Students will be automatically admitted when they register for the course DAT 210 Cloud Computing for Data Scientists.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.
This program does not qualify students to apply for an international study permit.
International students who wish to live and work in Canada should consider our International Professional Programs.
Get a 10% discount
Receive a discount of 10% by registering at the same time for both courses in the program.
Register online or by calling 403-220-2866 or 1-866-220-4992. Some restrictions may apply (i.e., all courses must take place within the current academic year).