This program is for anyone interested in creating and growing a small business. It examines three key areas: starting a business, managing the small business for growth, and marketing and sales for entrepreneurs. In addition, it will explore how to develop a complete business plan proposal, prepare you for managing the challenges and transition of your small business, and teach you how you expand customer relationships. You will also discover effective marketing and sales techniques that help facilitate small business growth.
This program is perfect if you...
- Are interested in starting your own business
- Would like to learn the basics of managing a small business
- Are thinking about effective marketing and sales techniques for a small business
- Would like to re-invent your career by starting a small business and becoming an entrepreneur
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Digital Badge.
Courses in this program are delivered online. Courses are scheduled at convenient times, allowing you to complete the program at a pace that fits your life.
You should plan on studying and working approximately 6 hours per week per course.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
3 Courses, 60 Hours
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. Small Business Management Basics for Entrepreneurs is a 60-hour program.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you take one course per term, you will likely complete the program in less than a year. You will complete the program faster if you take multiple courses per term.
The approximate cost to complete Small Business Management Basics for Entrepreneurs is $1,485.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
Students will be automatically admitted when they register for BMC 370 Starting a Business.
On completion of this program, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
Upon completing Small Business Management Basics for Entrepreneurs, all 60 hours may be transferred towards:
- Certificate in Professional Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Risk Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Strategic Management: Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management – Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (PEG): Optional Courses
Upon completion of BMC 373 Marketing and Sales for Entrepreneurs, you can transfer all 20 hours towards the Certificate in Integrated Digital Media
If you wish to pursue another program:
- Complete the Application for Admission for your next program
- Contact us to request transfer of the equivalent course credits
The transfer of course credits will not happen without your request.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.
This program does not qualify students to apply for an international study permit.
International students who wish to live and work in Canada should consider our International Professional Programs.