Examine the key areas of business finance: discounted cash flow analysis, valuation procedures, capital budgeting, cost of capital, leasing, capital structure of the firm, financial rate analysis, and preparation of proforma financial statements. Emphasis is on capital structure decisions that affect the financial management of the firm. Attention is given to the financial environment in which Canadian firms operate; its major institutional aspects; sources and forms of external financing; and trends and changes in financial market conditions.
Students will learn various techniques of financial calculations and analyses which should enable them to assist in the estimation of the financial needs of their organizations, to formulate alternatives to finance related problems, to understand and debate the merits of key financial variables that underpin finance presentations and to be able to arrive at consistent financial decisions. The course will include a case study involving the process of financial analysis of an acquisition of a private company. The analysis will utilize skills learned during this and other related financial courses.
Students should endeavour to integrate knowledge gained from prior prerequisite courses, most notably in accounting and economics, with tools from Business Finance to develop a conceptual framework to solve financial management problems.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify fundamental financing alternatives
- Utilize the time value of money concepts
- Apply the concepts to the valuation of a private business
- Apply the concepts to the acquisition or sale of a business
BMC 205 Business Management and BMC 162 Accounting Fundamentals
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Professional Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management - PEG : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Construction Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Risk Management : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Professional Management specializing in Strategic Management : Strategic Management Courses
- Public Relations Management Certificate : Optional Management Courses
- Security Management Certificate : Optional Management Courses