Delivery Options: IN CLASS, ONLINECourse Schedule
The Human Resource Advanced Certificate is a 120-hour professional certificate that provides training for mid-level human resource professionals and expands their skill set and knowledge in the field of human resources.
Building on the learning and outcomes from our existing Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate, the Human Resource Advanced Certificate is for human resource professionals interested in growing their fundamental knowledge within the professional practice. This program aims to advance the knowledge and competency of human resource professionals in the area of workforce planning, talent management, and Canadian human resource law.
Courses and program outcomes are aligned to the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) competency areas. This program is suitable for individuals who have taken the Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate and want to continue to advance their knowledge and competency in the human resource field of practice.
By completion of this certificate, successful students will be able to:
- Create a diverse workforce plan considering current and future talent needs to build a pipeline for a quality and diverse workforce that supports business operations
- Create an employer brand that can be used for diverse talent attraction and support the employer value proposition to build a high-quality workforce
- Write an end-to-end talent management strategy that addresses the strategic competency needs of the organization and sustains the employee life cycle and employer brand
- Apply Canadian human resource law to work environments between the employer, union, stakeholders, and any other labour agreements in the organization
- Carry out human resource responsibilities in alignment with a standard of practice expected of human resource professionals within a specific province or across Canada
- Create a human resource-related plan that recognizes the importance of equity, diversity, and inclusion in the context of the human resource practice
This certificate is perfect if you:
- Work in the human resource field and seek additional knowledge
- Supervise human resource teams
- Work in the area of learning and development
- Create policies for workforce training
- Have completed the Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate
Courses are delivered in classroom and online formats allowing you to complete your program at a pace that fits your needs and schedule. Whatever the delivery format of your course, you should plan on studying and working approximately six hours per week per course.
Online learning is a learning option that caters to busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. It is learning that relies on the Internet for access to learning materials as well as interaction with instructors and fellow learners.
In most online courses, you will work within scheduled start- and end-dates, and assignment timelines. Readings, assignments, and contributions will be required on a weekly basis. Graded assignments, participation marks, and sometimes exams contribute to your final letter-grade mark.
It is strongly recommended that you log into the University's online learning software three to four times per week to keep pace with the class. In most cases, the times you choose to work will be entirely up to you. Some online courses may require you to meet online with your class at specific times.
It is recommended that you complete the Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate before taking courses in this certificate.
Before taking your first online course, it is recommended to take the free course, Digital Skills for Learning Online.
All Continuing Education Certificates have been developed with part-time learners in mind. The Human Resource Advanced Certificate is a 120-hour program. Students are required to complete five courses comprising 120 hours.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you have other significant time commitments and take only one course per term, you will likely complete the program in one year. If you are planning on taking multiple courses per term, you will complete the program faster.
A degree or diploma is not required to enrol in this program.
You must be a minimum of 18 years of age to be admitted. Successful completion of a Grade 12 diploma and relevant work experience are recommended. If English is not your first language, please review the English language proficiency requirements.
You can take courses first and enrol in the certificate later; however, as programs are subject to change, we recommend you apply for admission to the certificate program as early as possible. The certificate admission fee is $105. Once you are admitted, you can be confident that you have locked in the requirements leading to your graduation.
The approximate cost to complete this certificate is $2,710 including the cost of certificate admission.Apply for Admission
On completion of one program or certificate, you may wish to pursue studies in another. On completion of this certificate, 60 hours may be transferred towards the Human Resource Management Certificate.
Specifically, students can transfer the following two courses to the Human Resource Management Certificate:
- BMC 369 Developing a Talent Management Strategy (20 hours)
- BMC 172 Human Behaviour in Organizations (40 hours)
If you wish to pursue another certificate program please complete the Application for Admission for your next certificate, and contact us requesting transfer of the equivalent course credits, or contact a student advisor for assistance at 403-220-2866. You must request the transfer of the equivalent course credits to apply to your next certificate – this will not happen without your request.
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled, and to apply to graduate.
View our Graduation page for details.
This certificate program is not eligible for application for a study permit. International students who wish to live and work in Canada should see our International Professional Programs.