The Human Resource Advanced Certificate is a 120-hour professional certificate that provides training for mid-level human resource professionals and expands their skill set and knowledge in the field of human resources.
Building on the learning and outcomes from the Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate, the Human Resource Advanced Certificate is for human resource professionals interested in growing their fundamental knowledge within the professional practice. This program aims to advance the knowledge and competency of human resource professionals in the area of workforce planning, talent management, and Canadian human resource law.
Courses and program outcomes are aligned to the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) competency areas. This program is suitable for individuals who have taken the Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate and want to continue to advance their knowledge and competency in the human resource field of practice.
By completion of this certificate, successful students will be able to:
- Create a diverse workforce plan considering current and future talent needs to build a pipeline for a quality and diverse workforce that supports business operations
- Create an employer brand that can be used for diverse talent attraction and support the employer value proposition to build a high-quality workforce
- Write an end-to-end talent management strategy that addresses the strategic competency needs of the organization and sustains the employee life cycle and employer brand
- Apply Canadian human resource law to work environments between the employer, union, stakeholders, and any other labour agreements in the organization
- Carry out human resource responsibilities in alignment with a standard of practice expected of human resource professionals within a specific province or across Canada
- Create a human resource-related plan that recognizes the importance of equity, diversity, and inclusion in the context of the human resource practice
This program is perfect if you...
- Work in the human resource field and seek additional knowledge
- Supervise human resource teams
- Work in the area of learning and development
- Create policies for workforce training
- Have completed the Human Resource Fundamentals Certificate
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Professional Certificate.
Online and In Class
Courses in this program are delivered online and in class. Courses are scheduled at convenient times, allowing you to complete the program at a pace that fits your life.
You should plan on studying and working approximately 6 hours per week per course.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
5 Courses, 120 Hours
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. The Human Resource Advanced Certificate is a 120-hour program.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you take one or two courses per term, you will likely complete the program in one year. You will complete the program faster if you take multiple courses per term.
The approximate cost to complete the Human Resource Advanced Certificate is $2,710.
This includes the $105 admission fee.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program. You can take individual courses to start, and apply later.
The admission fee is $105.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
Programs change from time to time, so we recommend that you apply for admission as early as possible. Once admitted, your requirements to complete the program will not change – even if the program changes. You can be confident that completed and eligible courses will apply to your program.Apply for Admission
Prior learning from other post-secondary institutions
Advanced standing may be granted for equivalent, graded courses completed at other post-secondary institutions. Credit may be granted up to a maximum of 40 hours towards this program.Apply for Advanced Standing
Transferring credit from other Continuing Education programs
If you have completed requirements for another University of Calgary Continuing Education program, you may be able to transfer some credits to this program. For details, please review the "Credit towards other programs" information in the programs you have completed. To transfer credits, please contact a student advisor.
Maximum advanced standing and transferred credit
The combined total of advanced standing and transferred credits cannot exceed 60 hours for this program.
On completion of this program, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
Upon completing the Human Resource Advanced Certificate, 60 hours may be transferred towards the Human Resource Management Certificate.
Specifically, students can transfer the following two courses:
- BMC 369 Developing a Talent Management Strategy (20 hours)
- BMC 172 Human Behaviour in Organizations (40 hours)
If you wish to pursue another program:
- Complete the Application for Admission for your next program
- Contact us to request transfer of the equivalent course credits
The transfer of course credits will not happen without your request.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.