Discover current web standards, design, and development practices, with emphasis on usability, cross-browser compatibility, accessibility, search engine optimization, and responsive web design. Learn how to separate between defining the contents of a web page (HTML5) from presentation concerns (CSS3) and become familiar with a variety of tools in the process.
This course is designed for those with no prior knowledge of building a website and want to learn basic HTML and CSS3.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Understand the main concepts and requirements of web page design
- Apply the standards of HTML/CSS3 and their common features
- Understand the tools and techniques used to build HTML5/CSS3 web pages
- Design web pages for multiple platforms (optimization design) and different screen sizes (responsive design)
Topics of Instruction
- Introduction to web development
- Basics of HTML and CSS syntax
- Testing, debugging and validating HTML and CSS files
- Structuring a web page with div and span, and semantic elements
- Principles of Responsive Web Design
- Web design guidelines and considerations
- Working with variety of web page components like text, images, links, lists, etc.
- Using CSS to format elements of a web page: specifying measurements and colours, code selectors, define properties of text
- Creating and formatting tables
- Creating web forms and controls, including validation
- Introduction to web page components, like video and audio