Virtual Machines (VM)
Some technology courses use a virtual lab with VMware Horizon, a platform for virtual desktops and applications. This platform provides students with access to virtual desktops, applications, and online services through a single digital workspace.
This virtual computer system is known as a "virtual machine" (VM), and this virtualization creates an environment that helps ensure the course software applications are accessible throughout the course duration. VM can be accessed from any computer (PC or Mac), tablet or laptop that has internet connection.
The instructor will provide you with a VMware account and login information the first class of your course. This VM account will be valid for the duration of the course.
For the best possible learning experience, we recommend that your computer hardware and internet connection meet the following specifications.
Recommended computer specifications:
- Windows 10 or Mac OS 10.10 (or higher)
- Intel quad core CPU (i5 or i7 5th or 6th generation)
- 8 GB of RAM or higher
- 15 inch screen or larger
- 128 GB hard drive or larger
- A portable hard drive for data backups
Recommended internet connection:
- Ideally, your internet connection should have download speeds above 100 Mbps, and upload speeds above 10 Mbps. To test your connection speed, check your internet provider's website.
- Note that every device you have sharing your internet connection reduces these speeds. The more devices you have streaming content, the more your internet connection will slow down.