Explore the histories and perspectives of Indigenous people in Canada by developing an understanding of Indigenous worldviews, including identities, culture, history, and diversity. Understand how Indigenous people lived pre-contact and how settler contact impacted their ways of life. Come prepared to broaden your understanding of Indigenous people in Canada and dispel misconceptions and stereotypes that Canadians hold.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Honour Indigenous worldviews, including ways of knowing, doing, being, and connecting
- Consider Indigenous ways of life from pre-contact and understand the historical relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people
- Acknowledge decrees, Acts, policies, reports, and events that have shaped Indigenous history in Canada
- Recognize the misconceptions and stereotypes of Indigenous people that contribute to colonization
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Towards Truth and Reconciliation Certificate : Required