This is an introductory course, designed to provide insight into complex topics that will support and inspire further learning. Learn about identity, colonization (ie. residential schools, marginalization, and exclusion), and the reaction to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s recommendations.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Recognize the meaning of Indigenous identity, its complexity, associated terminology, and how non-Indigenous people view terms
- Recognize common stereotypes associated with Indigenous people at the national and regional level and the corresponding actions to stop their use
- Acknowledge the impacts of colonization, using residential schools and the results of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission as an example
- Describe at least four current Indigenous demographics across Canada
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Towards Truth and Reconciliation Certificate : Required