FRE 102 - French 2
This course is designed for students who have some basic knowledge of the French language. Students should be comfortable saying basic phrases and forming simple sentences in the present tense. Conversation topics cover situations at a restaurant, grocery store, your home, surroundings, etc. The main grammar points include some irregular verbs, adjectives and adverbs, and near future, the imperative, and an introduction to the past tense with the auxiliary verbs to have.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand a variety of communicative situations presented in elementary but authentic French.
- Introduce your family and relatives, and describe your house and surroundings
- Talk about weather and tell time
- Point out people and things
- Talk about food and drinks, and place an order at a restaurant
- Ask about and express your actions and abilities, possession, and preferences
- Express events in the past tense
- Write simple texts in French
Effective 2021, all students in this course are formally assessed with a letter grade. Those who do not wish to be assessed can apply for course audit.
French is spoken in all classes, even at the beginner level.
Full time U of C students are eligible for a 25% discount on French courses. You must phone our office at 403-220-2866 to register with the discount. Valid for 2022-2023 academic year.
FRE 100 French 1, or an equivalent.
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Certificate in French Language and Culture - FSL Foundations : Core Courses