Course DescriptionExplore environmental management challenges and issues faced by industry and discover the key driving forces that are requiring companies to address these issues through an array of management techniques. This course is designed to give you both knowledge of current environmental management tools as well as provide an opportunity to apply this knowledge to practical examples of environmental issues. Some of the more common groups of environmental management tools will be introduced and explored in the balance of the course including environmental management systems such as ISO14001 and other tools such as product-related, impact Assignment, and performance and reporting tools such as Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). The emphasis will be on engaging critical thought on the goals of these tools, their utility, benefits and draw-backs and ways they can improved. The assignments will be practical with an emphasis on using, assessing and discussing how tools are identified as solutions for environmental management and social responsibility from a business perspective.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify the primary tools used for environmental management and define their appropriate application;
- Explain how the scientific method applies to environmental management;
- Evaluate the quality of environmental information;
- Employ consideration of ethics in environmental decision making;
- Utilize an understanding of regulatory methods and requirements and requirements, and other outside influences, when developing strategies for corporate environmental management;
- Interpret environmental aspects of business publications; and
- Apply the course material to your work/business environment.
Students may take either BMC 281 Auditing of HSE Management Systems and Compliance OR BMC 116 Management Tools and Techniques for Environmental Issues in their Core Component. If both courses are taken, one will be assigned to Core and the other will be assigned as Optional.
- Alan Kennedy
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Environmental Management Certificate : Optional Courses