Organizations that embrace mentoring as an important part of their culture have proven to be extremely effective in engaging employees, recognizing and developing their potential and building their learning capacity. In this course, participants are introduced to a mentoring model that incorporates coaching skills and strategies designed to enhance your mentoring presence. Using real workplace situations, participants explore the skills required to establish and maintain an effective mentoring relationship. Mentoring can inspire growth and change. It can also be an effective way to help others learn, set goals, grow and become more effective in their jobs. During the course, participants will take part in individual and group exercises to discover the framework needed to mentor and coach people effectively, with a focus on establishing, nurturing and excelling the mentoring relationship.
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify the mentoring framework that incorporates coaching principles
- Examine the difference between coaching and mentoring
- Explore how to establish mentoring relationships, create a structured plan with a timeline and specific deliverables
- Recognize techniques to acknowledge, champion, nurture and facilitate effective mentoring interactions
- Practise effective dialogue and feedback techniques that can be applied in a mentoring context
- Assess different approaches to end a mentoring relationship or transition to other growth opportunities
NotesFormerly: BUS 244 Mentoring Skills
This course has no prerequisites defined.
Certificate for Emerging Leaders: Professional Skills