Green Belts should be able to lead their own continuous process improvement projects as well as champion the work of Black Belts within their organization. This 10-week, online course provides coaching and guidance from a Master Black Belt to students completing a real-world project. Students will apply their learning from PDS 240 Foundations and PDS 241 Project and Statistics to identify a business problem or opportunity, gather and analyze data, and determine the most impactful course of action. Students who are not able to complete a real-world project in their organization will be provided a case study applicable to their area of work.
This is a capstone course and should be completed as the final course in the Lean Six Sigma program.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Analyze different data collection methods, measurement systems, performance metrics, and/or process capabilities.
- Use the DMAIC Process to identify a potential business problem or opportunity that can be solved using the six sigma methodology
- Write a project charter that includes stakeholders and project team members
- Write summaries of the findings from statistical validation or process value analysis
- Evaluate idea generation tools such as affinity diagrams, root-cause analysis, challenging assumptions, solution mapping, mind-mapping, six thinking hats, and random word brainstorming to develop solutions
- Outline process elements to investigate the current state of flow complexity and waste in a process
- Write a control plan to document, monitor, and maintain the overall process including improvements that occur within the process
- Prepare the required documentation, training and communication plans
Students electing to complete a final quality improvement project or case study should complete this course as a final course in their program. Students completing PDS 242 should have already completed PDS 240 OR PDS 243 to PDS 248.
ProficienciesStudents should have a solid understanding of the DMAIC framework and common practices of Lean Six Sigma before completing this course.
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Lean Six Sigma Fundamentals Certificate : Core Courses