This foundational course focuses on the design and implementation of interactive computer visualization techniques for the analysis, comprehension, and explanation of large collections of abstract information. The application of principles from perception, information visualization, interaction and visual analytics will be covered. Practical skills for using tools for cleaning up data, creating interactive visualizations, conducting exploratory analysis and deriving insights from large datasets will be emphasized.
Visual analytics in organizations is data management with humans in the loop. This requires fast data delivery along with flexible techniques blending computational analysis - the numbers and hard data - along with visualization. The result is presentation materials that are deeply connected to the analysis process with the final goal of being able to gather, analyze and reanalyze data and trends for business decisions.
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe the theory underlying the design of visual analytics tools
- Communicate design requirements to members of a visual analytics development team
- Apply theory, concepts and strategies for making design decisions in visual analytics
- Create effective interactive visualizations based on scientific principles
- Use visual analytics to derive insights from large and abstract datasets
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Business Intelligence and Analytics : Optional Courses