Course DescriptionThis course explores business analytics techniques to formulate and solve business problems and to support managerial decision making. Students will learn how to use and apply Excel and Excel add-ins to solve business problems.
Analytics is the application of analysis and advanced solutions to improve our understanding of something that is of interest to us. The understanding may be related to past, present or future behaviours.
Analytics includes business intelligence, which is comprised of standard and ad hoc reports, queries and alerts; and quantitative methods, including statistical analysis, forecasting/ extrapolation, predictive modelling (such as data mining), optimization and simulation. This course differs from the mathematically-focused or R programming for statistics courses. This course covers fundamental analytical techniques and when / how to apply them to management / business problems and how to interpret the results.
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Define business analytics
- Explain why analytics are important in today's business environment
- Learn examples and demonstrate advanced techniques with a business application
- Use data, information technology, statistical analysis, quantitative methods and mathematical models to help business gain improved insight about their business operations
Topics of Instruction
- Introduction to business analytics
- Data mining and data analytics
- Predictive analytics
- Customer analytics
- Operational analytics
- Social analytics
- Text analytics
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Business Intelligence and Analytics : Optional Courses