Expand essential skills building web applications using Microsoft .NET technology acquired in the prerequisite course, ICT 713, into the areas of incorporating ADO.NET database programming into ASP.NET, programming and using web services, and exploring modern approaches to web programming with Ajax applications and ASP.NET MVC.
Any web application of practical use requires access to a database. This course explores in depth the use of SQL data sources, object data sources, and a variety of server controls (including GridView, DetailsView, FormView, ListView, and DataPager) to retrieve and manipulate data from a database.
The second part of this course introduces ASP.NET Ajax applications and two ways ASP.NET 4.5 supports building web services: the WCF and Web API.
This course concludes with introductory exploration of the alternative approach to developing ASP.NET web applications with Model-View-Controller (MVC) design pattern.
Course-Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Develop an ASP.NET application that accesses and modifies data from a relational database like SQL Server using SQL data sources and/or object data sources and appropriate web server controls
- Create a web service and a website that consumes it
- Create a simple web application that follows the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
Topics of Instruction
- Retrieving and modifying data from a database using SQL data sources with GridView control
- Creating Master/Detail pages using DetailsView, FormView, ListView and DataPager controls
- Using object data sources with ADO.NET for three-layer design of web applications – selecting data
- Using object data sources with ADO.NET for three-layer design of web applications – update, delete and insert methods
- Using ASP.NET Ajax
- Web services: WCF
- Web services: Web API
- Introduction to Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- ASP.NET MVC – more details; working with Razor
- Debugging an ASP.NET MVC application – unit testing
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in .NET Application Development : Optional Courses