ICT 705 - Gathering Requirements for BI Projects
This course will introduce students to the tools, techniques and best practices that are used to define and manage business requirements for Business Intelligence projects.
Defining business requirements for IT projects can be a challenging process under ideal conditions. The scope of requirements for Business Intelligence (BI) projects can range from enterprise wide strategic programs, to addressing specific reporting needs for a small subset of users in a single department.
Whether the business analysis is on a wider or more narrowly scoped BI project, there are additional considerations to deal with the additional complexity found in data driven projects, broad range of stakeholders and constantly changing reporting requirements.
This course is designed for those who want to be able to efficiently and effectively define BI requirements that can be used for all projects in organizations of any size. This course assumes you are already familiar with basic BI concepts.
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Communicate an understanding of the basic concepts of gathering requirements
- Identify each requirement category and its use
- Create a data model at two levels, conceptual and logical
Topics of Instruction
- Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing Concepts
- Tools & techniques to collect requirements for BI Projects
- Mapping objectives, goals and strategies to a business requirement
- Categorizing of requirements for BI Projects
- Data Modeling, data analysis, measures, KPIs and metrics
- Defining user report and UI requirements
- ICT 700 Business Intelligence Introduction (completed before course start)
- A minimum of 6 months experience working in business intelligence
- Familiarity with the roles, processes, techniques and technology related to business intelligence applications
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Certificate in Business Analysis : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Business Intelligence and Analytics : Core Courses