This short program will provide you with essential knowledge of the career development field of practice. Explore foundational theories and their applications in informing and guiding your work with diverse clients. Review key ethical principles and their relevance in professional conduct as a career development professional.
By completion of this program, successful learners will be able to:
- Identify career development theories and models that will inform your approach in working with clients
- Apply career development theories and the Code of Ethics into your practice
- Discuss ethical issues and professional responsibilities in the career development field
This program is perfect if you...
- Are an experienced career development practitioner seeking the CCDP professional designation through completion of the required career development theories and ethics courses
- Are an aspiring career development professional looking to gain foundational knowledge of the field
- Want to work towards a Certificate in Career Development and Academic Advising or Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising
What will I get?
Students who complete this program will receive a Digital Badge.
Courses in this program are delivered online. Courses are scheduled throughout the year, allowing you to complete the program at a pace that fits your life.
You should plan on studying and working approximately 5 to 7 hours per week per course.
Online learning fits into busy schedules by taking the learning experience out of the traditional classroom. Students have online access to instructors, fellow learners, and learning materials.
Before taking your first online course, we recommended taking our free course: Digital Skills for Learning Online
2 Courses, 40 Hours
All Continuing Education programs are developed with part-time learners in mind. Career Development Professional Essentials is a 40-hour program.
The length of time it takes to complete this program varies by student. If you take more than one course per term, you will likely complete the program in three months.
The approximate cost to complete Career Development Professional Essentials is $830.
This cost does not include textbooks.
You do not require a degree or diploma to apply for admission to this program.
To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Grade 12 diploma (recommended)
- Relevant work experience (recommended)
- If English is not your first language, you must meet the English language proficiency requirements
Students will be automatically admitted when they register for ADL 210 Career Development Foundations.
On completion of this program, you may wish to pursue studies in another.
Upon completing Career Development Professional Essentials, 40 hours of equivalent courses may be transferred towards the following certificates:
- Certificate in Career Development and Academic Advising
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising
If you wish to pursue another program:
- Complete the Application for Admission for your next program
- Contact us to request transfer of the equivalent course credits
The transfer of course credits will not happen without your request.
Career Development Association of Alberta (CDAA)
Career Development Professional Essentials is accepted by the CDAA (Career Development Association of Alberta) for the CCDP (Certified Career Development Professional) designation through the "employment pathway" and completion of the required career development theories and ethics courses. Please visit www.careerdevelopment.ab.ca for more information.
Each year, scholarships and awards are given to deserving students not only for their academic achievement, but also for community involvement. Award sponsors include both corporate and private donors.
To apply, you must meet eligibility criteria and submission deadlines. Students in this program may be eligible for the following awards:
It is the student's responsibility to ensure all requirements for graduation are fulfilled.
See Graduation for details.