Give voice to your inner creativity. Explore various creative writing genres such as fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, and drama through discussion, writing exercises, close reading of published work, and instructor and peer feedback consistent with your level of experience and comfort. The focus will be on generating ideas, and learning the basics of the writer's craft.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of Creative Writing Explorations, you will be able to trust the importance of what you write on the page. This initial affirmation as a writer is critical to your learning of the craft in any of its forms. You will be able to identify the conventions of genre, and how to mould them for your creation.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
By completion of this course, successful student will be able to:
- Produce a personal portfolio of creative writing, and potentials items for future work
- Apply knowledge and skills to write a good story, poem, or personal essay
- Experiment and take risks with genre
- Participate in a supportive writing community
- Apply good self-editing practice, and listening skills for changing and building your creative writing
Prerequisite for online versions (only): Learning Online (BMC 152 or BMC 352)
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Core Courses