WRI 140 - Creative Writing Exploration
Give voice to your inner story teller. Examine various genres including fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry and drama through discussion, writing exercises and close reading of published work. Receive instructor and peer feedback consistent with your level of experience and comfort. The focus will be on generating ideas and learning the basics of the creative writing process.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of Creative Writing Explorations, you will be able to trust the importance of what you write on the page. This initial affirmation as a writer is critical to your learning the craft in any of its forms. You will be able to identify the conventions of genre and how to mould them for your creation.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
By completion of this course, successful student will be able to:
- Produce a personal portfolio of creative writing and other potential items for future work
- Apply knowledge and skills to write a good story, poem or personal essay
- Experiment and take risks with genre
- Participate in a supportive writing community
- Apply good self-editing practice and listening skills for changing and building your creative writing
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Core Courses