Learn to effectively communicate information to your audience by applying relevant concepts and tools to help you make sense of various writing tasks. Develop your ability to analyze written information and use structure to reinforce its meaning and make the message clear. Produce writing samples based on documents including reports, policies and procedures, proposals, summaries, manuals, and user guides. Learn through study, practice, peer and instructor feedback, and assignments.
Broad Learning Outcome
In this class, students will explore how purpose, audience, form and style are important elements of writing. Being attentive to each element helps in communicating effectively. The focus will be on practicing writing skills that relate to the most common forms of documentation, including proposals, reports, specifications, manuals and other forms of technical communication.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify audience and purpose
- Apply appropriate technical writing style and form to a variety of audiences with varying purposes
- Write effective common persuasive and informative technical documents
- Recognize how style and form inform and influence the effectiveness of a written technical document
Prerequisite: Learning Online (BMC 352 or BMC 152) and one of the core courses (WRI 110, WRI 120, WRI 130, WRI 150, BMC 113).
Completion of WRI 220 Document Design is recommended prior to taking this course.
You may not register online for this course until you have successfully completed Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course by telephone if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Adult and Community Education : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in e-Learning : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Workplace Learning : Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Business and Technical Writing : Business and Technical Writing Specialization Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Marketing and Public Relations : Professional Writing Optional Courses