Learn the information necessary to achieve public relations writing success, including how to write and format documents such as news releases, advisories, media kits, backgrounders, and fact sheets through study, practice, peer and instructor feedback, and assignments. Continue with practice in marketing and advertising writing which may include: advertisements for print, radio, or television, proposals; sales; direct mail; fund raising and more. We will discuss the latest methods used in the industry such as engaging audiences through the web, social media, and blogs.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of the WRI 230 course, you will be able to identify and clearly contrast the PR communications concepts of brand, goals, objectives, strategies and tactics and to use them to communicate more effectively to reach a variety of audiences in today’s digital age.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Apply different writing styles appropriate to different situations, media and publications.
- Express information clearly to the audience using competencies in writing mechanics, grammar, headlines, labels, tone and structure.
- Evaluate the importance of creating news-making content decisions in writing.
- Appreciate how news media evaluates what is newsworthy.
Prerequisite: Learning Online (BMC 152 or BMC 352) and WRI 150 Writing in the Workplace (formerly BMC 113 Business Writing Basics and/or WRI 130 Professional Writing Basics). Students registered in the Public Relations or Marketing certificates may apply to have WRI 150 waived. A writing sample may be required. Please contact the program office at (403) 220-2866 for more details.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Marketing Certificate : Optional Marketing Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Business and Technical Writing : Professional Writing Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Marketing and Public Relations : Marketing and Public Relations Specialization Courses
- Public Relations Management Certificate : Optional Public Relations Courses