Writing is at the heart of professional, personal and creative communication, and is, therefore, a critical skill in many realms. To write well, you must be familiar with audience, purpose, form and style as well as the mechanics of writing. Learn the essential skills to be successful at getting your intended message across to a variety of audiences through study, practice, peer and instructor feedback, and assignments.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of the Writing Well course, you will be able to recognize how purpose, audience, tone and style are important elements of writing. By being attentive to each element, you will be able to communicate more effectively. Your focus will be on practising writing skills, and improving grammar and punctuation skills, which will be applied in a final writing project.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and apply the steps in the writing process
- Identify audience and purpose and use that information to select an appropriate style and tone
- Express ideas clearly using clear and well-constructed sentences and paragraphs
- Recognize how style and tone are as important as the message in communicating
Prerequisite: Learning Online (BMC 152 or BMC 352)
You may not register online for this course until you have successfully completed Learning Online or have a Learning Online Prerequisite Waiver in your profile. You may enrol in this course by telephone if you are enrolled in a section of BMC 352 that will be completed before this course begins.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Optional Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Business and Technical Writing : Core Courses
- Professional Writing Certificate specializing in Marketing and Public Relations : Core Courses