Offered in cooperation with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO). Through listening, lecture, discussion, guest musicians and live performances of select CPO concerts, examine the making and development of classical music with the aim of deepening your understanding and appreciation of this music genre. Each session will feature a deep dive into an orchestral masterpiece, which may include the works of Barber, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Strauss, Mahler, Prokofiev, Handel or Bach.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify the musical families in the orchestra and the historical periods of classical music
- Define the basics of the operations of a modern symphony orchestra
- Describe biographical and historical information about the composers and classical repertoire performed by the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO)
- Develop a vocabulary of musical terms
- Identify musicians, conductors, and staff from the CPO and describe their professional experiences
- Describe noteworthy elements of symphonic performance
- Define what makes an symphonic performance great
Special 60 + years of age and older discount does not apply to this course as it is not a 20 hour course.