Course DescriptionDiscover the essential capabilities and creative applications of InDesign by learning the workspace and features. Create rich layouts and multi-column pages. Learn to combine text and graphics, including vector graphics from Illustrator and raster images from Photoshop. This course is for those who want to produce high quality documents for digital and print media.
Course assignments are application based; at the end of the course, you may be able to use some of this work to build your portfolio.
The software used in this course is Adobe InDesign CC, which may be downloaded from Adobe at student pricing. No prior versions are taught or reviewed.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Apply appropriate layout options to create appealing graphic designs
- Integrate type and colour, graphics and illustrations
- Create and apply templates to enhance workflow
- Create multipage, illustrated, professional-quality documents
- Optimize digital images for web, print and video
- Navigating the InDesign workspace
- Document set up
- Creating web and print documents
- Managing pages, layouts and layers
- Managing type through character and paragraph styling
- Fills, strokes and effects
- Working with embedded and linked images
- Formatting, managing and transforming objects
- Text and colour, graphics and tables
- Managing long documents
- Preparing documents for output
- ICT 436 Adobe Photoshop (completed before course start)
- ICT 437 Adobe Illustrator (completed before course start)
- A minimum of 6 months experience working with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator to create and edit images and vector graphics.