This introduction to central themes and major period styles in the history of Western Art explores the leading visual sources from Prehistoric Art and Art of Antiquity to the early Middle Ages. Follow-up courses are offered.
See also: ART 310 Art History and Appreciation 2
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Art History and Appreciation 1 course, you will be able to:
- Become familiar with major works of art from prehistory to the early Christian period.
- Explore the rich artistic and historical heritage of the ancient world through art.
- Build a vocabulary with which one can explore art objects and elements of style.
- Critically analyze the art: explain the art in terms of its historical, religious, and iconographic context.
Art History and Appreciation courses do not have to be taken in sequence.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Art Theory and Practice Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Courses