Examine the history of art from Prehistoric times through the Early Christian period, including sculpture, painting and architecture. Discover significant historical and cultural influences on the development of art in western civilization. Topics include; Prehistoric cave art, Venus figurines, Mesopotamian temples, Egyptian pyramids and tombs, Minoan palaces and frescoes, historical culture behind the Iliad and the Trojan war, Classical Athens, Roman buildings, the destruction of the city of Pompeii and the early Christian catacombs.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify major works of art from prehistory to the early Christian period
- Assess the rich artistic and historical heritage of the ancient world through art
- Apply vocabulary to explore art objects and elements of style
- Describe art in terms of its historical, religious, and iconographic context
Art History and Appreciation courses do not have to be taken in sequence.
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Art Theory and Practice Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses