To successfully complete the Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders, students must complete 91 hours of seminars and a 9-hour independent final assessment in the form of a referenced reflection paper. The paper will be structured into five sections – one for each program topic area listed below.
- Building Relationships: Recognizing the critical role that relationships play in business, examining the various working relationships, increase understanding of the different roles in a relationship and explore how to maintain, build, create, and nurture relationships.
- Coaching: Distinguishing between coaching, managing, and mentoring, recognizing when to have a coaching conversation, applying learned coaching principles, and developing abilities to have meaningful coaching conversations.
- Communication: Examining and recognizing all the facets of communication (verbal, non-verbal, and written) by applying strategies to be an active listener in the communication process.
- Personal Effectiveness: Identifying tools, skills and strategies to enhance leadership competency for personal growth by designing a personal practice to become a more effective leader.
- Professional Skills: Exploring a range of competencies in knowledge-related areas such as communication, management, and interpersonal skills, building on these specialized areas to improve professional knowledge, competence, skills, effectiveness and recognize these areas for professional growth.
For each section, learners will provide substantive personal insight, evidence and discussion by:
- Examining how they have applied the category’s principles, concepts and skills.
- Reflecting on the path they are on with respect to building their skill set, goal setting and leadership brand development.
- Exploring the impact of their newly-learned category skills in their role.
Sources of evidence to corroborate and strengthen personal reflection may include referenced materials from:
- Personal course notes
- Course content
- Independent readings
- Life and work experience
Referenced Reflection Paper Guidelines:
- One paper with four sections.
- Each section is a separate reflection on one of the program categories
- Each section will be 1200 to 1500 words in length
- Each section will be graded independently using the same rubric
- All referenced materials must be properly cited using the American Psychological Association (APA) style, 7th edition
- A grade of ‘C’ or higher is required for each section of the referenced reflection paper in order to pass the assignment
The completion of 91 hours of seminars, a minimum of one seminar from each topic area; Building Relationships, Coaching, Communication, Personal Effectiveness, and Professional Skills. This course is restricted to students registered in the Certificate for Emerging Leaders and is to be taken as the final course in the certificate.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Professional Certificate for Emerging Leaders : Learning Journal Summary