PDS 251 - Superintendent Leadership Qualification Standard
Course DescriptionIn this course, superintendents and potential superintendents will explore the seven competencies and indicators set out by Alberta Learning as required expectations to meet the Superintendent Leadership Quality Standard. Instructors of this non-credit course are experienced senior education leaders.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Summarize the steps for developing positive and productive relationships with members of the school division and the local community.
- Develop a personal plan for career-long professional learning that includes ongoing critical reflection and research-informed practices to enhance leadership, teaching and learning.
- Discuss strategies for establishing and implementing a shared vision of student success with the school division.
- Design a learning culture for the school division that promotes ongoing critical reflection on practice, shared responsibility for student success, and continuous improvement.
- Identify structures and resources that support the school division in acquiring and applying foundational knowledge about First Nations, Métis and Inuit for the benefit of all students.
- Examine the processes that contribute to the effective management of operations and resources in the interests of all students and in alignment with the school authority’s goals and priorities.
- Investigate the topic of effective governance, including how to provide the elected board with the support and information needed to fulfil its purpose, as identified in the Education Act and other provincial legislation.