To be an effective online instructor, you must be comfortable with the learning technology and familiar with the relevant instructional methods and approaches needed to ensure learner success. Examine practical guidelines for teaching, strategies to support active learning, assessment, and evaluation of discussion-board participation. Engage in hands-on work to plan basic components of your own online lesson or course.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will have a toolbox of ideas and theories that will enable you to enhance your planning and delivery of an online course. Specifically, you will be able to:
- Build a conceptual understanding of how the online environment affects the instructor's role and the learner's role
- Relate the core knowledge and skills for effective online teaching to your own teaching context
- Examine and utilize quality standards for online courses
- Apply best practice principles to plan and teach an online course in your own setting
- Plan interactive teaching strategies that support active learning
- Plan course management strategies that help save time and resources
- Implement practical strategies for managing online discussions and communicating with learners
- Experience, through interaction, the importance of developing a community within an online course and specific techniques for successfully building a learning community
- Select assessment methods appropriate to learning objectives and context
A background in teaching face-to-face is strongly recommended. This course is for you if you are new to online delivery, have not had formal training in online delivery, or want to keep current with some of the latest technology and practices.
Students should expect to spend five to seven hours on coursework each week.
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Adult and Community Education : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Career and Academic Advising : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in e-Learning : e-Learning Specialization Courses
- Certificate in Adult Learning specializing in Workplace Learning : Optional Courses
- e-Learning Certificate : Core Courses