Discover the essential features and creative applications of Adobe Illustrator including: core drawing and shape tools, transformation and reshaping features, text manipulation, and the pen tool. This course is for individuals with no prior knowledge or experience with Illustrator or any of its predecessors.
Course assignments are application based; at the end of the course, you may be able to use some of this work to build your portfolio.
The software used in this course is Adobe Illustrator CC, which may be downloaded from Adobe at student pricing. No prior versions are taught or reviewed.
Students may register for ICT 436 Adobe Photoshop and ICT 437 Adobe Illustrator in the same term.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Create simple vector graphics using all the draw and shape tools
- Learn best practices to enhance workflow
- Integrate and manipulate colour and type in designs
- Prepare documents for output to print, web, and video
- Navigating the illustrator workspace
- Functions of illustrator tools and panels
- Creating, viewing and navigating documents
- Creating and editing shapes and objects including symbols and the shape builder tool
- Transforming objects
- Selecting and isolating objects
- Exporting and printing documents
- Pen and pencil tools
- Working with colour: custom, spot and global
- Working with type
- Layers essentials
- Fills, strokes and gradients
- Working with graphic styles, appearance attributes and effects
- Illustrator creative techniques
This course content is at the beginner level of the subject matter, however computer proficiency is required:
- Students must be familiar with the personal computer, keyboard and mouse.
- Students must have Microsoft Windows Operating systems skills and knowledge, and be able to perform the following tasks:
- start and run Windows computers
- use the taskbar, Start button and Help feature
- use Minimize, Maximize, Restore Down/Up and Close
- use the left and right mouse buttons appropriately
- understand file management techniques
- navigate between files, folders, or drives
- cutting, copying, and pasting content, files and folders
- using print screen or snipping tool
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Certificate in Graphic Design : Core Courses
- Certificate in Integrated Digital Media : Core Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Art Theory and Practice Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses