Examine the essential capabilities and creative applications of Photoshop, from correcting colour and print to retouching portraits, navigation, resolution, cropping, selecting, printing, and making web graphics. The in-depth information and real-world context needed to use this application is provided. This course is suitable for individuals with no prior knowledge or experience with Photoshop or any of its predecessors.
Course assignments are application based; at the end of the course, you may be able to use some of this work to build your portfolio.
The software used in this course is Adobe Photoshop CC, which may be downloaded from Adobe at student pricing. No prior versions are taught or reviewed.
Students may register for ICT 436 Adobe Photoshop and ICT 437 Adobe Illustrator in the same term.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Optimize digital images for web, print and video
- Demonstrate creativity with basic tools
- Compose complex images using layers
- Integrate typography appropriately in compositions
Topics of Instruction
- Photoshop interface: functions of the toolbox and panels
- Image size, resolution and file formats
- Navigation and magnification
- Opening a file using adobe bridge
- Bitmap vs. vector graphics
- Straightening and cropping images
- Layer basics
- Working with selections
- Smart objects and rasterizing layer content
- Eraser tools
- Design principles, elements and composition
- Printing and producing consistent colour
This course content is at the beginner level of the subject matter, however computer proficiency is required:
- Students must be familiar with the personal computer, keyboard and mouse.
- Students must have Microsoft Windows Operating systems skills and knowledge, and be able to perform the following tasks:
- start and run Windows computers
- use the taskbar, Start button and Help feature
- use Minimize, Maximize, Restore Down/Up and Close
- use the left and right mouse buttons appropriately
- understand file management techniques
- navigate between files, folders, or drives
- cutting, copying, and pasting content, files and folders
- using print screen or snipping tool
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Graphic Design : Core Courses
- Certificate in Integrated Digital Media : Core Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses