Explore both theoretical and practical aspects of specific skills in learning a second language. Review what is known about the reading and writing process including communicating well to be heard and understood, and reading and writing for specific purposes. Next review what is known about teaching grammar in a second language while concentrating on pedagogical techniques. Cover critical and innovative approaches to grammar and learn specific strategies for teaching grammar in a second language. Finally, cover systematic and principled procedures for teaching vocabulary.
Broad Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the underlying principles informing current approaches to teaching reading and writing skills in ESL
- articulate the basics of how grammar and vocabulary in English are organized systematically and
- explain the importance of this knowledge to teachers of ESL
- plan to teach grammar and vocabulary with an emphasis on the three fundamentals of meaning, form and phonology
Supporting Learning Outcomes
- You will have the opportunity to practice analyzing vocabulary and grammar for teaching purposes.
- You will practice adapting reading material for classroom use and selecting appropriate grammar, vocabulary and writing practice activities for ESL learners.
NotesFormerly: TSL 121- Teaching Skills and Systems 1 - ESL
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Teaching Second Language Certificate - Level 1 - specializing in Teaching English as a Second Language : Core Courses
- Teaching Second Language Certificate - Level 2 : Teaching Reading, Writing and Grammar Courses