Develop the awareness, knowledge and skills needed to communicate effectively in today's multicultural workplace. Through reflection, discussion and experiential activities: examine the notion of culture as a perceptual lens, explore cultural differences in values and communication styles, identify barriers to effective intercultural communication, and develop skills for bridging the language and culture divide.
Formerly known as: Intercultural Skills for the Global Workplace, ADL 120
Upon successful completion of this course, you will have:
- Engaged with a developmental model of intercultural competence
- Deepened your understanding of "culture" and "cultural diversity"
- Reflected on your own cultural identity, values and belief system and the ways these impact your interactions with culturally different others
- Identified and analyzed some key dimensions of cultural difference and their implications for the workplace
- Examined cultural differences in communication styles and practiced making adjustments in your own style of communicating
- Explored barriers to effective intercultural communication including ethnocentrism, stereotyping, prejudice, discrimination
- Developed skills for communicating across the language and culture divide
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Career Development and Academic Advising : Optional Courses
- Human Resource Management Certificate : Optional Courses