ART 323 - Abstract Painting
Examine various forms of abstract painting through the study of painting techniques, colour theory, formal critique, concepts and ideas. Explore the history of abstract art and its relationship to design, interior design, photography and art theory. In addition, a visual vocabulary of abstraction will be identified and developed.
Course Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify the process of abstraction in painting in a variety of ways
- Explore the history of abstract art and painting
- Acquire a practical knowledge of abstract painting techniques i.e. hard-edge, expressionistic, abstract figuration etc.
- Describe the relationship of abstraction to art and design.
- Distinguish the relationship between colour theory and abstract painting
- Identify concepts related to practical colour mixing
- Formulate a vocabulary to describe abstraction in painting
- Create a personal abstract voice/style
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Art Theory and Practice Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses