Examine various forms of abstract painting through the study of painting techniques, colour theory, formal critique, concepts and ideas. Explore the history of abstract art and its relationship to design, interior design, photography and art theory. In addition, a visual vocabulary of abstraction will be developed that is unique unto itself.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the process of abstraction in painting in a variety of ways.
- Develop an understanding of the history of abstract art and painting.
- Acquire a practical Knowledge of abstract painting techniques i.e. hard-edge, expressionistic, abstract figuration etc.
- Understand the relationship of abstraction to art and design.
- Recognize the relationship between colour theory and abstract painting.
- Understand concepts related to practical colour mixing.
- Formulate a vocabulary to describe abstraction in painting
- Develop a personal abstract voice/style
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Visual Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Art Theory and Practice : Optional Art Theory and Practice Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Interior Design : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Visual Design specializing in Photography : Optional Courses