Fundamentals of Real Estate (FRE) is your first step to prepare for RECA’s Fundamentals of Real Estate licensing exam. This course will solidify your understanding of the history of real estate and the competencies and skills required of real estate associates in Alberta. Learn through flexible, self-paced units that integrate comprehensive written content with real-life case studies based on the RECA-defined learning outcomes and real estate competencies.
Each unit incorporates interactive knowledge checks to test your retention and understanding of key concepts relevant to the Fundamentals of Real Estate licensing exam; these culminate in self-assessment practice quizzes every three units that simulate RECA exam-style questions. Learners must pass these practice quizzes to complete the course and demonstrate thorough review of the provided learning materials.
Throughout the course, learners can contact a course patron, an industry expert from the Commercial Real Estate Association (NAIOP), Calgary Chapter, who can answer content questions or further explain challenging concepts.
Once enrolled, learners will have 6 months to complete the course at their own pace. After passing the RECA Fundamentals of Real Estate licensing exam, learners select an area of practice and proceed with the corresponding course in commercial, property management, residential, or rural real estate, to further apply what you learned in the fundamentals level.
Additional benefits of the Haskayne learning experience:
- Maintain access to digital course materials for up to one year for continuous reference while employed as a licensed industry professional
- Engage with a network of co-learners, companies, partners, and fellow Haskayne School of Business alumni across the Alberta real estate community
- Build upon course learning through a variety of exclusive industry and academic engagement events through the Westman Centre
- Learn about employment opportunities in Alberta real estate through the Westman Centre network
- Achieve competencies outlined by RECA for Fundamentals of Real Estate. The course outline provides a full list of learning outcomes that correlate to the essential competencies that RECA has defined for Fundamentals of Real Estate.
- Strengthen foundation of essential knowledge from Fundamentals level by applying learning to case studies and activities
- Build your network in the Alberta real estate industry and learn about employment opportunities in Alberta real estate through the Westman Centre network
Delivery format: online, self-paced
- 70-120 hours based on learners' existing knowledge, experience in the industry, and active engagement with learner supports
- Learners can expect to spend at least 3 hours per week working through the course units
- Learners have a maximum of 6 months to complete the self-paced course