Writing a novel is a challenging and exciting journey. Through practical experience, learn to write fiction uncritically for quantity, write to a deadline, meet daily word-count goals and sketch an entire story arc. Topics covered include character and scene development, dialogue, narration, and plot creation. Your goal is to have a 50,000-word first draft of a novel by the end of the course. This course is suitable for all genres.
Broad Learning Outcome
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to write scenes, create compelling characters and develop storylines that span the length of a novel.
Supporting Learning Outcomes
By successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Write a scene outline to guide you through the creative writing process
- Meet daily word-count goals and write uncritically for quantity
- Create dialogue, complex characters, plots and subplots
- Develop a distinctive narrative voice appropriate to the story and age of the protagonist
- Identify areas of crisis, conflict and connection, while moving the story toward resolution
- Edit the first chapter of your novel with a reader in mind
PrerequisitesPrerequisites: Learning Online (BMC 152 or BMC 352) and Creative Writing Exploration (WRI 140)
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Genre Courses