Writing a novel is a challenging and exciting journey. Through practical experience, learn to write fiction uncritically for quantity, write to a deadline, meet daily word-count goals and sketch an entire story arc. Topics covered include character and scene development, dialogue, narration, and plot creation. Your goal is to have a 50,000-word first draft of a novel by the end of the course. This course is suitable for all genres.
Broad Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of Writing a Novel: First Draft, you will be able to write scenes, create compelling characters and develop storylines that span the length of a novel.
Supporting Learning Outcome Statements
By successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Write a scene outline to guide you through the creative writing process
- Meet daily word-count goals and write uncritically for quantity
- Create dialogue, complex characters, plots and subplots
- Develop a distinctive narrative voice appropriate to the story and age of the protagonist
- Identify areas of crisis, conflict and connection, while moving the story toward resolution
- Edit the first chapter of your novel with a reader in mind
PrerequisitesPrerequisites: Learning Online (BMC 152 or BMC 352) and Creative Writing Exploration (WRI 140)
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Genre Courses