This course focuses on the self-service approach to BI. Students will learn the tools and applications that allow business managers to create personalized reports and analytical queries. Focus will be given to modern reporting tools and dashboards with some attention given to OLAP technologies.
The fundamental objective of business intelligence (BI) is to support business decisions. This means BI must provide relevant data and analytics in a timely manner, and be able to adapt quickly to changing business needs. BI has long been the sole domain of IT. In recent years however, BI tools have progressed to the point where they are now easier to use and are more accessible to the business manager.
Today sales, marketing, business development, and operations should all be using this self-service approach to manage and organize data in real time, and collaboratively build insights and analyses for their specific needs and to accomplish mutual goals.
This course is designed for BI professionals and individuals wanting to transition into the field who want to implement a self-service business intelligence solution. Leveraging PowerBI from Microsoft, students will learn how to pull data from a multitude of sources, how to format and prepare that data prior to loading into an analytical model, and how to create visualization and dashboards upon that data.
PowerBI from Microsoft is a suite of tools for desktop and Self-Service Business Intelligence. The suite includes the following tools :
- Sourcing data and preparing is for use
- Modeling data to make it ready for analysis, and
- Visualizing and dashboarding to present information
Course Level Learning Outcomes
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe the role and value of Self Service Business Intelligence (SSBI) within the corporate analytics environment
- Define the responsible use of SSBI in the context of data governance
- Describe the SSBI tools currently available in terms of their features and market positioning
- Demonstrate how to build effective data visualizations from defined data requirements
Topics of Instruction
- What is self-service Business Intelligence?
- The need for self-service
- How to determine requirements for Self Service
- Benefits and Issues with Self-Service
- Designing sustainable Self Service solutions
- Using the self-service tools
- Sourcing data from persona data sources, across the web and Corporate IT Systems
- Preparation of data, creation of models and loading of data to models
- Introduction to DAX
- Best Practices
- Creation of effective data visualizations
For the best experience, your computer and internet connection should meet certain requirements. See the recommended requirements...
The Instructor will assume that you have a beginner knowledge of business intelligence concepts such as BI application, data warehouses, ETL and data management and have no previous knowledge of PowerBI.
If you need to brush up on your knowledge and skills with business intelligence, please see: ICT 700 Business Intelligence Introduction.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s)
- Certificate in Business Intelligence and Analytics : Optional Courses
- Certificate in Office Applications : Optional Courses