Build your knowledge of the poetry genre and improve your poetry writing skills in this next-level course.
Students will learn how to write poetry in select forms including glosa, pantoum, sestina, sonnet, spoken word, and villanelle. Examine metaphor, simile, enjambment, rhyme rhythm, and imagery, as well as subjectivity and ideologies that inform poetic craft.
Become more confident in your ability to write poetry through practice, discussion, and feedback from the instructor and peers in this supportive environment.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Demonstrate skills of written style in a variety of poetic devices including meter, rhyme, metaphor and simile
- Write a range of poems that consider personal subjectivity and cultural responses
- Exhibit skills in reading and critiquing published poets
- Provide effective feedback to others on their poetry writing
- Develop a portfolio of poetry
WRI 419 Poetry Writing or WRI 420 Writing Poetry or equivalent are strongly recommended.WRI 419, WRI 420 or equivalent course or previous poetry writing experience are strongly recommended.
Applies Towards the Following Program(s)
- Creative Writing Certificate : Optional Courses