FSW 141 - Introduction to Emotional Intelligence: a half-day session
Course DescriptionDuring the workshop, we will build a case for emotional intelligence, leadership and the connection to social work.
- An introduction to the course and check-in with the participants
- What we can learn so much from both good leaders and bad leaders.
- Introduction to the EQ Model; -What is EI and why does it matter?
- Self-Perception and Self-Expression;
- Assertiveness; How can assertiveness help me to help myself and improve all my relationships? How is it relevant to my effectiveness at work? Why is it critical during change?
- Interpersonal Realm:
- What are relationships - what is the connection with effective teamwork, and how can I create more meaning and
- understanding, even remotely?
- Decision Making; What is the connection between emotions and logic? How can we get better at logic when we acknowledge emotion? How does emotion affect our ability to apply logic?
Course DetailsParticipants will:
- Learn what Emotional Intelligence is and how it relates to the workplace
- Learn to leverage the EQ-I Model of EQ (used by Google, Nike, Amazon, Microsoft, and many other organizations to develop leadership)
- Understand how relationships and communication impact work and life
- Generate some ideas for moving forward in their personal development
Our instructor, Mr. David Cory, is a coach and leadership development specialist. He known for his expertise in applying the concept of emotional intelligence to leadership development for individual and organizational performance improvement. In addition to Bachelor’s degrees in Kinesiology (University of Calgary) and Education (University of British Columbia), David has achieved a Master’s degree in Adult Education (University of British Columbia). He is a Certified Professional Coactive Coach (CPCC) and Certified Master Trainer in the area of Emotional Intelligence (EI) with MHS Inc. He is considered an international expert on the integration of emotional intelligence and leadership development and is frequently invited to be a Key Note speaker at conferences world-wide. Past speaking highlights include: keynote speaker at the Nexus EQ Conference at the Harvard Medical School and 6 time keynote speaker at the World/Asia HRD Congress in Bahrain, Brunei, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur (x2), and this year, virtually.
The Emotional Intelligence Training Company Inc. (EITC), based in North Saanich, BC, was started by David Cory in 1998 as one of the first companies in North America to focus on leadership development based on the concept of emotional intelligence. At the time, very few companies in the world focused on developing emotional intelligence skills, therefore, EITC is a pioneer and world leader in the field. Currently, we are the leading provider of EQ-I 2.0/EQ 360 Certification Courses in North America and are the first choice for leading organizations implementing EI development programs. Since 1998, David and the rest of the team at EITC have provided emotional intelligence development programs in Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East and all over North America with world leading private and public sector organizations, governments at all levels, healthcare organizations, and post-secondary institutions. EITC won the bid and was contracted to design an emotional intelligence skills development course for the citizens of Botswana by the government of the Republic of Botswana in 2013 – a ‘first’ in the world. EITC trained and certified 36 trainers the course is currently being delivered throughout the country.