FIF 660 - Michelangelo: Painter, Sculptor and Architect
Michelangelo is a key personality in the history of Western culture. His artistic career spanned more than seven decades, during which he produced some of the most extraordinary works of art achieving unparalleled fame in his own lifetime. His remarkable achievements in the fields of painting, sculpture and architecture define and embody the Italian Renaissance.
Students will examine his life using milestone works of art, such as the David, the Pieta and the Sistine Chapel frescoes. Explore the culture which surrounded him, learning about humanism, church reform, political intrigue, philosophical arguments and literature of the 15th and 16th centuries in this fun class setting.
By the completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Recognize the rich and influential aspects of Italian Renaissance art and architecture
- Describe Michelangelo’s biography
- Identify Michelangelo’s principal works in sculpture, painting, and architecture
- Explain Michelangelo’s art in terms of its historical, religious, and iconographic context
- Develop the fundamental skills of art historical analysis