Based on an approach that is thousands of years old, mindfulness meditation is about being fully awake and present in every moment of our lives. Access powerful inner resources to cope with life's challenges, calm the mind, relax the body, and cultivate insight. Benefits, including improved mood and reduced stress, depend upon establishing a personal routine. Components include: meditation, gentle hatha yoga, relaxation, group discussion, imagery and breathing techniques. Topics covered include mind/body interdependence, balance in the autonomic nervous system, and effective coping strategies.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Identify personal stress reactions and healthy responses to stress
- Describe the mind/body relationship
- Access a repertoire of tools and techniques to be more present-focused
- Develop a personal practice of mindfulness meditation and mindful yoga
- Practice a nonjudgmental and compassionate perspective in daily life
- Apply techniques to calm and relax the mind and body