This comprehensive English program consists of twelve weeks of instruction and one week of exams.
Students attend separate courses in grammar, speaking & listening, and reading & writing. Each course has six levels from high-beginner to upper-advanced. The program helps students to develop vocabulary; improve proficiency at integrating critical thinking skills, reading and writing tasks; increase accuracy and fluency in English communication.
Level 6, the top level of the Semester Program, departs from the broad communication goals of levels 1-5 and focuses on the written and oral skills necessary for success in the English language post-secondary classroom. Students completing level 6 with a minimum final grade of B+ in each course are eligible for direct entry into the Academic Communication Certificate.
Optional courses available to enroll in with ESL 100:
- Activity Program (ESL 102 or ESL 103)
- Homestay Program (ESL 900)
- TOEIC Preparation Course (ESL 205)
Please review International Program Policy
- Students must be 18 years of age or older
- Advanced placement into levels 5 and 6 of the Semester Program is available for students wishing to guarantee their level placements. The following minimum requirements are needed.*
- Level 5: TOEFL iBT score of 40 (13 in writing), IELTS score of 5.0, or CAEL score of 40.
- Level 6: TOEFL iBT score of 52 (17 in writing), IELTS score of 5.5, or CAEL score of 50
* In the event that students display English language performance that is significantly different from the English language proficiency scores they submitted, they will be assigned to the course level that aligns with their in-class performance.