ASL 201 - Sign Language 201
To better understand the Deaf community and its culture, expand on vocabulary and grammar introduced in Level 1 courses. In a classroom setting discuss people in an abstract way and learn to narrate events that occurred in the past. Discover appropriate cultural behaviours for directing and maintaining attention and strategies, such as controlling the pace of a conversation and resuming a conversation after an interruption. Individual participation and group interaction with the instructor will be encouraged.
By completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Communicate location of things around the house
- Exchange personal information and narrate about life events
- Sign numbers from 101-119 and count by hundreds
- Express complaints, suggestions and requests
- Gain appreciation for ASL art through handshape stories, cheers, songs and poetry
- Use more advanced vocabulary and grammar to improve communication
- Have a better understanding of the Deaf Culture
ASL 103 or equivalent.