This program focuses on equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) within postsecondary teaching and learning. This program requires participants to reflect on their own positionality and its impact within the classroom, while also examining their pedagogical practice through an equitable lens. Participants will also analyse exclusion and inclusion within their discipline and curriculum, actively working to identify inclusive and equitable teaching strategies to promote an equitable learning environment for all students. The capstone project will involve participants completing a Diversity statement worksheet, that will encourage them to reflect on their beliefs about EDI and how they seek to promote those values through their teaching practice.
This badge is part of the Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars Certificates in University Teaching and Learning programme.
Participants who register for the badge will be automatically enrolled in the Certificate.
- Understand the implications of their positionality (social identities) and those of their students’ in the context of teaching and learning
- Demonstrate an appreciation for diversity by exploring ways to incorporate multiple perspectives into the curriculum
- Identifying inclusive teaching strategies catering to all students, including BIPOC, LGBTQ2A+, Persons with Disabilities, neurotypical among others.
- Reflect on their teaching in view of systemic inequalities and its impact on equity deserving groups
Requirements for Completion
- Complete the designated modules
- Attend at least one of the two Zoom sessions
- Complete the Capstone Project
This badge will be delivered in a course of 4 weeks. Modules will be delivered in a blended format, through synchronous and asynchronous sessions. There will be two scheduled synchronous sessions (60 minutes) via Zoom. Participants are expected to attend at least one of the two sessions to successfully complete the badge:
- Tuesday October 10, 2023: 15:00 - 16:00
- Monday, October 23, 2023: 12:00 - 13:00
- This badge is open and free-of-cost to all current graduate students and postdoctoral scholars with the University of Calgary
- For recent graduates: If you began work on your Certificate prior to completing your graduate studies at the University of Calgary, you may take up to one year after your graduation to complete your Certificate
- This badge is not accepting the registration of external participants i.e. individuals not affiliated with the University of Calgary
Please note: Registration will close within 1 week of the course start date. Participants will be contacted with relevant course information via email – as well as enrolled on D2L – on the day the badge begins.