HSK 827 - Real Estate Law
*Formerly CPE 111*
Real estate law influences every specialized area of practice in the real estate industry. This course establishes a foundational knowledge of important aspects of real estate law and legislation through case studies, project examples, and expert industry speakers from across Canada. Learn about common legal issues in real estate, applicable provincial and federal legislation. Gain a comprehensive introduction to topics related to land titles, transaction documents, conveyancing, leasing and valuation, condominium law, and litigation.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Recognize applicable provincial and federal laws that apply to the real estate sector
- Identify important legal documents pertaining to real estate, such as land titles certificates.
- Using Alberta as a case study, recognize common Alberta Land Titles encumbrances and their implications
- Review key sections of residential and commercial purchase and sale contracts
- Differentiate between aspects of commercial versus residential leases
- Interact with practicing real estate law experts and recognize techniques and strategies to better communicate with legal and related professional advisors in the real estate industry
- Access key resources such as provincial statutes and laws, land title procedures manuals, and municipal websites