*Formerly CPE 118*
Real estate development projects can live or die by how professionals and leaders navigate the development approval process. This course explores how approval processes work and identifies necessary aspects to achieve successful project approvals with case studies, project examples, and guest speakers and administrators from across Canada. Learn about topics including: municipalities’ authority to plan, types of planning documents, and the major players in development processes, land use amendment applications, and subdivision and development appeals.
- Describe the various types of planning approvals that may be required for different types of development across different regions of Canada
- Observe a municipal planning meeting and participate in a mock council meeting (public hearing)
- Compare the approval procedures, requirements, and legislation of different municipal jurisdictions in Canada.
- Differentiate between types of statutory and non-statutory plans that a municipality may use
- Review land use bylaws and recognize how they may apply in various case studies
- Interact with industry experts who have processed applications in a variety of municipal planning systems and recognize ideas and techniques they used to deal successfully with elected and administrative officials, interest groups, and the general public