This programme focuses on pedagogical theories and practices in postsecondary teaching and learning. You will critically explore what researchers currently know about how learning actually happens and navigate scholarship on how to implement formative and summative assessment. Participants will reflect upon and design a lesson plan in their own teaching context that enhances learning and develop a learning-centred activity for practical classroom application.
This badge is part of the Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars Certificates in University Teaching and Learning programme.
Participants who register for the badge will be automatically enrolled to the Certificate.
- Engage in critical reflection surrounding current practices, theories and research in postsecondary education.
- Explore ways to incorporate formative and summative assessments to enhance student learning
- Design and develop a research-informed lesson plan and learning-centred activity for implementation into the classroom environment.
Modules are delivered in an online, asynchronous, self-directed format, and students must attend one (1) online, synchronous session. You will have five (5) weeks to complete the course including the Capstone Project.
Synchronous Session Dates
Participants will be required to attend one synchronous session to complete the badge:
- Monday, September 25, 2023: 10:00 - 11:15
- Tuesday, September 26, 2023: 14:00 - 15:15
- Wednesday, September 27, 2023: 13:15 - 14:30
- This badge is open and free-of-cost to all current graduate students and postdoctoral scholars with the University of Calgary
- For recent graduates: If you began work on your Certificate prior to completing your graduate studies at the University of Calgary, you may take up to one year after your graduation to complete your Certificate
- This badge is not accepting the registration of external participants i.e. individuals not affiliated with the University of Calgary
Please note: Registration will close within 1 week of the course start date. Participants will be contacted with relevant course information via email – as well as enrolled on D2L – on the day the badge begins.